Megaweez

“Good judgment comes from experience, and experience -- well, that comes from poor judgment.” Cousin Woodman

Thursday, August 04, 2005

Electric & Blue Technology


Sometimes I get a little anxious about the fact that I am entirely ignorant about most of the devices that give me the lifestyle I rely on. To do most of what I do I need a computer. But I don't know how to build or fix one, or even explain how one works. While I believe that the earth is round, I couldn't explain why it's true. My whole world-view and experience is basically faith-based and ignorant. I keep worrying that we're getting all 1984, and someday I'll be forced to live underground as a menial worker-pet for all the pretty people who understand technology and live aboveground. Which is my other fear, that maybe we're also getting all HG Wells "Time Machine."

Speaking of technology, I am lovingly fascinated by the little blue plasticky sheets that absorb oil. They are for cosmetic purposes, to dab against your greezy face. They are so sophisticated that oil makes their blue coating disappear, and they become clear which is rewarding in the way a blackish cotton ball is after you astringent your face. They also utterly ignore all non-oil. I tried drying my perspiring face with one, to no effect. Oh, and is it really gross and wrong to save and re-use one if it's still mostly blue? It's not like a dirty hanky or anything.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home